Sweet, sweet summertime. If there is one thing besides heat that we can count on, it’s bugs! Whether you like to go hiking, spend time waterside or stay out in the yard until sunset having a good bug repellant is essential. Fortunately you can fend off bugs without exposing yourself to harmful chemicals by using certain essential oils. So let’s take a look at some of the essential oils known to help ward off bugs and an easy recipe you can whip up at home!
10 Essential Oils for Bug Repelling
To make your own bug spray you can use any combination of these oils (and even some others). Studies have shown that the efficacy of certain oils can be boosted when combined with vanillin. Adding a few drops of vanilla extract to a DIY bug spray or balm can help increase the repelling effects of the oils.
DIY Bug Spray Recipe
- 15 Drops Geranium Oil
- 15 Drops Citronella Oil
- 10 Drops Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
- 10 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Peppermint Oil
- dash of vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp rubbing alcohol or vodka
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 drops vitamin e oil (optional)
You’ll also need an 8 oz glass spray bottle.
- Combine all ingredients in a glass spray bottle.
- Shake well (at least 1 minute) to combine.
- Spray is ready to use, always shake well before application.
*test on a small portion of your skin to ensure there is no reaction or irritation. If skin reaction occurs, immediately stop use and consult your physician.
Not the DIY-type? Check out this ready made bug spray by Way Out Wax!