Garlic is a staple in any kitchen – perfect for flavoring soups, pasta dishes, dressings/marinades, and pretty much every item on any menu. Whatever your favorite way to use garlic, keep it up! It’s great for your health for a number of reasons:
- It’s antimicrobial – use it to treat athlete’s foot, candida, and other fungal infections (according to this source).
- It may help support healthy blood pressure / heart health
- It boosts immunity & may protect against illness
- It works as an anti-inflammatory
- It’s good for the skin & may reduce the appearance of acne
- Its antibacterial properties are thought to protect against food-borne illness like salmonella and E. coli
Raw garlic is believed to be the most potent and may provide the most benefits. Add crushed garlic to your favorite recipes, or if you do heat it, aim for less than 140 degrees F.
If you want an extra boost (or want to avoid the garlic breath), we also offer garlic in supplement form! Now Odorless Garlic provides 50mg of deodorized garlic, ideal for daily use. Stop by the store for garlic essential oils, liquid extracts, and more supplement options!
Or try this recipe for the most delicious summertime pesto, packed with nutritious raw garlic and loaded with flavor. Add to your favorite protein, pasta salads, or as a dressing.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (no stems)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Step 3: Add the cheese and process very briefly, just long enough to combine. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
Enjoy! (Recipe by NYT Cooking)